Register to Vote
Iowa Voter Toolkit
Find Your Candidates
The main focus of Government Relations activity is economic growth and business climate improvement.
The Greater Cedar Valley Alliance & Chamber is the One Voice for Cedar Valley business to work with local, state, and federal governments. We establish a legislative agenda prior to the start of each Iowa legislative sessions. The Cedar Valley Agenda contains specific actions that will improve the Cedar Valley business climate and quality of life, or address specific situations for business. Throughout the year, the Alliance & Chamber tracks and brings to your attention issues that have an impact on your bottom line.
2016 Annual Cedar Valley Legislative Reception
Make plans to attend the Alliance & Chamber's Annual Cedar Valley Legislative Reception on February 16 from 5-7pm at the Des Moines Renaissance Savery Hotel. The event advances the legislative priorities of the Alliance & Chamber while increasing awareness among state officials of Cedar Valley accomplishments. This event is attended by Cedar Valley business representatives, legislators and executive branch officials. All members of the House and Senate, the Governor and Lt. Governor, and key State government department directors are invited. There is no cost to attend. To RSVP, please email Sandi Sommerfelt or call (319) 232-1156.
2016 Cedar Valley Legislative Agenda for Economic Progress
1. Workforce Recruitment, Retention & Education
2. Economic Development Program Support
3. Improving Iowa’s Tax Climate
4. Critical Physical Infrastructure Projects
Friday Forums feature monthly updates with Legislators or on current issues during the session. All Friday Forums will be held in the Greater Cedar Valley Alliance & Chamber 1st Floor Conference Room from 7:30 am-9:00 am. Please RSVP and confirm event details on the Events Calendar.
- Gubernatorial & Congressional Candidate Forums
- Host Legislators at annual Cedar Valley Legislative Reception in Des Moines
- Host Legislators at annual Pre-Session Legislative Reception, a networking format to increase personal interaction with legislators in the Cedar Valley
- Host Post-Session Legislative Forum Event
- Friday Forum - Monthly update with Legislators during the session
Visit our calendar to see our upcoming Legislative Events.
Subscribe to the Government Relations Blog, the direct source for government relations information.
The Iowa Prosperity Project
The Alliance & Chamber participates in the Iowa Prosperity Project, a non-partisan effort to protect and grow jobs in Iowa.
What is the Iowa Prosperity Project?
The Prosperity Project is built on the belief that when workers are informed and active in government and elections, our families, our communities and our state will benefit. The Prosperity Project provides employers non-partisan materials that explain to employees and associates the importance of state and federal elections. Research shows employees welcome information from their employers about how public policy and elections affect their job security and their future. Employees responded more positively to political messages from their own employers than from any other source.
How does it work?
- Educates employees about important issues
- Informs them on where the candidates stand on those issues
- Involves them in communicating with policymakers about those issues
- Registers employees to vote or request an early ballot
- Mobilizes employees to get out of the vote!
National Success Stats
- 107 million web page views
- More than 1.2 million voter registration and 880,000 early voting request downloads
- Delivered 1 million messages to elected officials
Iowa Success Stats
- Iowa had over 24,000 communications during 2010.
- In 2010, the Iowa Prosperity Project received a national award for outstanding use of social media in non-partisan voter communication.
Fix the Debt
The Alliance & Chamber supports Fix the Debt, a non-partisan movement to put America on a better fiscal and economic path. The Campaign mobilizes key communities including leaders from business, government, and policy and people all across America who want to see elected officials step up to solve our nation's fiscal challenges.
“Our Government Relations is committed to ensuring a favorable economic, legal and regulatory climate for the business community. Our mission is broadly defined as supporting public policies that will facilitate economic growth and optimize the business climate facing our investors throughout the Cedar Valley.”
- Steve Firman, Director of Government Relations